Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sister/Sister

A month ago, I found out that I had a sister from my father. I swear it was something out a movie. A month ago it was my birthday and I had a party to celebrate it. After the party was over, I was standing outside with everyone just talking. This kid that goes to school with me came up to me and asked me what my father's name was. Now my father died when I was 3 years old. When he died my mother and him was not really together. My father was heavily involved in illegal activities. My father and his brother came up here from Colombia, looking to make something of themselves. They became successful in what they did, although it was illegal. They did not come here with any family members. They had no green card. NOTHING. I never talk about my father because I do not know much about him. I don't even talk to my closest friends about him because there is nothing really to be said. So when the kid asked me what my father's name was, I didn't think much about it (being a lil bit intoxicated did not help either). So I told him his name. And when I told him his name. The kid immediately followed with the day my dad died, my uncle's name, and the place in Colombia he was born.  No one could possibly know this stuff without having a connection. So I started to freak out. And he told me that I had a sister who is 2 years younger then me which is his cousin. He noticed it last semester when he seen me on campus and I made a facial expression that reminded him of her. And me and her share the same last name. 

Trying to make a long story short.....

I met her this weekend for the first time. She is a wonderful person and her family is wonderful. They all welcomed me in. It's crazy how you just meet someone and you automatically love them. Although its a shame that there is 20 years that we will never get back from knowing each other. Everything has a time and a place. And I'm happy that I was able to meet her now when I could understand the situation better and appreciate her. 

No comments: