Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Bromance

Can men and women really be just friends? This is the age long question that I have been struggling with lately. I have many friends. A lot of them are still here and some are gone. But the ones that stay around longer are my male friends. And when I mean friend, I really mean friend and I don't mean my friend with benefits. I mean my friend who I can hand out with, have fun with, confide in, get advice from and vice versa. But lately a couple of my inter sexed friendships have become a little more difficult then in the past...
I have had one boy best friend Ethan, since I was 11 years old. I had a crush on him in high school. Then one night sophomore year of college, E called me up. He revealed his "feelings" for me and expressed that he has always been in love with me. I just brushed him off as joking around even though he repeatedly told me he was serious. E is the type of guy, that everything that he says sounds like he's lying. I was also in love with him and I wanted him to be serious. But I was more horrified what would happen between us if he was serious. We lost contact for about a year after that and when we finally did get back in contact he told me that he was expecting a baby from his girlfriend. I was CRUSHED and heart broken even though I was with John Tucker at the time. So from then on, I silently gave up my friendship with Ethan so he could start his new life with his new family.
Earlier in college, I became really close friends with Steven. When I first met Steven, he had a little thing for me. He even took me out on a date and brought me a rose. But I was not attracted to Steve and he would later introduce me to John Tucker. Even tho buddy ol' Steve and I were only friends and he was also JT's bff, he was the cause of alot of many of the reasons why JT and I would fight. Now that John Tucker and I are completely over, Steven and JT aren't really close friends anymore. Which makes me wonder now if Steve was really my friend and what were his real motives....
Then there's Paul. Paul has recently become my new best friend. I met him through a couple of my closest female friends. Paul and I hit it off from jump. When we first became friends we would be on the phone for hours. I love to be around Paul and he knows me better then some of my friends who have known me for years. There is an attraction there and I would probably pursue something more then friendship with Paul if it wasn't for the age difference and his lifestyle. So are we just friends?
James. Thank GOD for James. He has been my true platonic friend for about 3 years now. He's cool and my unbias opinion on male insight on alot of things.
And finally the reason why I wrote this blog, Nathan. See I have known Nate since high school but we became really close the beginning of college. We have been through alot together. Even though the dynamics of our relationship is to treat each other like we hate each other we really do love each other. The end of last semester Nate and I got into a huge fight and he told me that he couldn't be my friend anymore. He supplied with reasons that really didn't make any sense. So for the whole summer we didn't speak. Then the first day became in the fall, Nate calls me to hang out. When we met up, he acted as if he didn't end our friendship 3 months prior. But so I did I, because I just wanted my friend back. But lately he has been acting super weird with me. Last night he texted me and he asked me to sleep over. And when I didn't respond quickly enough because I was in another conversation he knocked on my door in his boxers. When I asked him why he did that, he said because he was lonely. Nate and I are not cuddle buddies and we never have been. I don't feel comfortable with making passes at me like that. And he been making a little comment or two, here there. And it makes me feel a slight bit uncomfortable. So is Nate trying to cross the line of being friendly?

No comments: